Project 2: Two-Dimensional Graphic Design | 'Power to the People' Zines

This project focused on 2D illustration and graphic design and was split into 3 parts in which we had to produce a zine for each.

A zine is an unofficial publication that can be cheaply and quickly reproduced and are a way for artists to explore and voice their opinions out into the world.

Part A: 'Pandemic'


For the first zine we had to produce we had to explore the word 'pandemic', exploring how we might represent it visually, but only through the use of type and letterform. ​


I started off doing a little bit of research into zines and the different styles. I knew I wanted to go out of my comfort zone and produce something more experimental. I also did a few quick sketches of possible layouts and ideas.

I next explored a few different formats for my zine; one sheet, unbound as well as a saddle-stitch using wax thread, trying to figure out page numbers and layout.

I then started experimenting with type. I explored tracing, cutting up and combining words in different typefaces for texture as well as using a scanner to create distorted glitchy text. I thought this was a good way to represent the theme of the zine as it looked visually hectic and showed lack of control.

After experimenting further with printing on different paper stocks and colours, I started using Adobe Photoshop and Indesign to develop some of these experiments so that they could be used for the pages of my zine. I included texts that I thought were relevant with the theme using online resources we were provided for the content.

After designing all the pages I printed them out onto plain printer paper in red and white. For the front cover I chose to double it up and add a rip just to make it more interesting. I also chose to include a mini zine in the middle and include some of the cutting and scanning experiments I did.

Part B: 'Migration'


​The second zine we had to produce had to explore the word 'migration', this time exploring it purely through imagery.


I began with some visual research, looking mainly at photography zines so that I could incorporate some of my own photographs combined with images found online. I particularly liked the accordion format and I wanted to experiment a little with the use of printed vellum.

The images I used created myself I took by changing the shutter speed to show the motion of the movements and making them greyscale to give them more of an eerie vibe. I thought these photos linked in well with the theme of the zine as migration is a type of movement. After printing them out I scanned them into my computer to add more texture.

I chose to create a mock up zine first to experiment with a few ideas, using a Japanese binding and experimenting with some collaging and vellum techniques to add interest. I used a combination of my own images with ones I found online related to travel.

I then went on to produce another mock up using an accordion format. I love the aesthetic of using purely black and white so I continued with that. I also stuck the images onto thicker card with an added black wax chord to make it feel more professional.

I wanted to combine the two mock ups I did to create my final zine. I produced a series of collages, combining my own photography with collage elements I printed out such as tickets, maps and paper scraps. I love how converting them to greyscale added more contrast.

I then arranged the collages onto the pages, using thick card and increasing the scale so you could see the details better in the collages. I decided to also add a vellum belly band and black wax chord as a sort of packaging and to keep the whole thing together.

Part C: 'Union'


The last zine had us explore the word 'union' but this time not only did we have to use both type and image, we had to produce it in collaborative teams. I was responsible for all the graphic elements whilst my partner produced the main illustrations.


We decided to base our zine around endangered animals and how we should all unite as one to combat the issue. All information used came from this website.

Whilst my partner started working on the illustrations for each animal we were going to cover, I did some visual research on how the graphic design could look to match. In contrast to the two previous zines, I wanted this one to be colourful and fun with hand drawn elements.

These are the collaged illustrations my partner sent me which I later edited using photoshop, removing the backgrounds and doing some general tweaking of saturation and contrast.

I then got to work on the graphics using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.. Below you can see the process I went through when designing a few of the pages. I add hand drawn elements throughout the backgrounds that related to each animal such as leaves and bubbles and added all the type, using handwritten looking typefaces.

After I had finished designing all the pages I added textures and adjusted the contrast and exported them as jpegs to add to an InDesign file ready to be printed.

I first created a mock up printed out on regular printer paper, creating an A5 booklet which I bound using a simple threaded saddle stitch.

This zine was my most ambitious and took the longest out of all three zines and so I wanted to make sure it looked professional. I decided to print this zine out onto nice A4 matt photo paper, to enhance the colours and sharpness so no details were lost. Then to create the A4 booklet I bound each single sheet using a coptic sewing variation to maintain that homemade touch.

 

Used images found online (Google Images):


0 comments